Holy Water - The Black Feathers
Our LCM featured artist today are Gloucestershire-based Americana husband and wife duo The Black Feathers. Known for their thoughtful & crafted songwriting and trademark close harmonies, they are the UK's answer to Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings or The Civil Wars. Our LCM #TrackOfTheDay 'Holy Water' is the first video and single from their eagerly awaited second album due for release in the spring of 2018. It's one of the duo’s most personal and revealing song to date, written following a deeply powerful performance in the chapel of a rehab facility for recovering alcoholics and drug addicts in Nashville during their recent US tour. The extraordinary experience being made all the more poignant, as it fell on the same day as Ray celebrated six years of sobriety.
The music industry has a very long and difficult history with addiction. What starts out as an exciting experience can all too easily become fueled obsession, leading to a downward spiral of self-destructive behaviour and isolation. And whilst some, like Ray, are lucky enough to realise that they’re falling, others simply don’t see the ground coming and then struggle to come to terms with what has happened.
“Many turn to God or religion at such times, but not everyone has that choice,” Ray explains. “Holy Water tries to highlight the fact that you don’t need to be religious to be ‘saved’”.
Recorded at Driftwood Studio, Mersea Island.
Produced and Mixed by Jay Stapley.
Mastered by Simon Allen.
The Black Feathers 'Holy Water' UK Tour
- Wed 6th – Clarks on Lindsay Street, Dundee, UK
- Thu 7th – Kirkcaldy Acoustic Music Club, Kirkcaldy, UK
- Fri 8th – House Concert, Edinburgh, UK
- Sat 9th – House Concert, Glasgow, UK
- Sun 10th – Old Cinema Laundrette, Durham, UK
- Tue 12th – Oporto, Leeds, UK
- Wed 13th – The Running Horse, Nottingham, UK
- Thu 14th – Stroud Subscription Rooms, Stroud, UK
- Fri 15th – Cafe #9, Sheffield, UK
- Sat 16th – Town Hall Live, Kirton In Lindsey, UK
- Sun 17th – The Castle Hotel, Manchester, UK
- Fri 22nd – Wingfield Barns, Eye, UK
- Sat 23rd – The Sound Lounge, London, UK
- Thu 28th – Acoustic Couch, Bracknell, UK
- Sat 30th – The Bear Club, Luton, UK
- Fri 13th – Friends Meeting House, Oxford, UK
- Sat 21st – The Railway, Winchester, UK