- Address: Islington Assembly Hall, Upper Street, London N1 2UD.
- Music Type: Various
- Capacity: (See below)
- Nearest Station: Highbury & Islington or Angel
- Website: http://www.islington.gov.uk/assemblyhall/Pages/default.aspx
Just a short walk from the Union Chapel is the very beautiful art-deco Islington Assembly. It was built in 1929 and was officially first opened on 15 March 1930. It soon became a popular venue, hosting dances and variety shows, and continued to be regularly used by local organisations, community groups and individuals for awards presentations, tea dances and weddings, up until its closure in the 1980s.
It lay dormant for almost three decades, being used as extra storage for Islington Town Hall next door. In 2009, Islington Council raised funding for its restoration with a vision that it could once again be at the heart of life in the bustling north London borough.
Many of the original features were kept – even down to the ashtrays in the tiered balcony, which, although now redundant, add to the charm of the building. The original art deco interior combines with some modern twists to help create a unique feel to any event held here.
Since reopening in March 2010, many music promoters, traders, national companies, community organisations, happy couples and council departments have made use of the flexibility this stunning space offers. Thanks to its renovation, people from all over the country and further afield have trodden the luxurious red carpet on arrival and the original sprung dance floor to experience an event here.
Once the home of tea parties and variety shows, the historic building has adapted well to life in the 21st century, becoming an important venue in the capital’s exciting live music scene, while continuing to provide to the local community.
The main hall holds up to:
- 600 people standing for a concert
- 230 in a theatre-style layout for conferences, film screenings, award ceremonies and civil ceremonies
- 170 people on our round tables in a cabaret style for a seated dinner or wedding reception (following which, they can remove some tables to make room for a dance floor)
- 130 people on our round tables, allowing space for a dance floor throughout.
A tiered balcony seats a further 200 guests and is used at the majority of concerts held here. They offer dressing rooms for performers at gigs and performances, and they can arrange break-out areas for conferences in the adjacent Town Hall on request.